Wednesday, October 6, 2010

You are your biggest critic

"You say your dropping 10 lbs preparing for summer, and you don't do it for the man, men never notice, you just do it for yourself, you're the fuckin coldest"- Drake

I love that line because it is so true. You are and always will be your biggest critic. Yes people will notice changes in you, but the small "imperfections" that you notice and critique will most likely never be noticed by anyone else. I realized that over the past 10 plus years I have looked in the mirror with doubt. I have looked in the mirror and thought of all the things I could and should change about myself, and ways that I could improve my appearance. I think that we are trained to use mirrors as ways of viewing imperfections instead of viewing beauty. If you think about it, why do you look in the mirror? To fix things, to fix make-up, to fix hair, to make sure something looks okay, to assess an outfit. Do you ever look in the mirror to admire yourself? I doubt it. To me, mirrors are so you can fix. Therefore each time I look in a mirror I think of something that needs to be fixed. I noticed myself doing this the other day, and thought- what a terrible mind set. What a depressing way to start my day. At the end of the day you are your biggest fan and your biggest critic...and when the world shuts you down, you need to have yourself on your side. So looking in a mirror and picking out imperfections with yourself is not the route to become the most supportive of you. So here is my challenge for you (and myself)...each time you look in the mirror, note three things that you think look good (one is not enough). This can be anything from a standard body feature (eyes, arms, etc) to a changing aspect of your appearance (the way you styled your hair, the way your legs look in the pants). It may seem silly but there is no possible way that this exercise could hurt you, it can only benefit you...so why not try.

If you go out into the world doubting yourself and dwelling on the small things that could be changed, the rest of the world will doubt you too. I may be alone on this, but using the mirror as a tool for admiration is a foreign concept to me but one that I am very interested in learning.

You're beautiful...and don't let yourself tell you otherwise :)

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment